The monthly calls with EOS block producers (BP) are meant to establish regular communications between the top 30 EOS BPs and the EOS Network Foundation (ENF) to foster an open dialogue between network operators and custodians in support of the mutual development of the EOS ecosystem.
The meeting started at 02:00 UTC on March 8th, 2023. 22 BPs attended the call and a total of 34 people participated in the discussions, which ran for 1 hour. The Interprefy tool was used in the call for synchronous translation to facilitate the free flow of information across multiple languages in real-time. ENF Communications Manager Beatrice Wang led the meeting.
ENF COO Ted Cahall presented on the state of operations within the ENF and gave a progress report on each of the ENFs main initiatives.
- Ted’s 20+ years experience as a C-level executive
- Office of the COO – Objectives
- Implement process and policy during ENF expansion
- Payroll / Benefits
- New Entities
- Drive operating efficiency through automation and optimization
- Drive accountability – both internally and with our partners
- Drive transparency through use of open source tools and communications
- Grant Framework
- Built on Github for developers
- Built to efficiently work with Developers the way they work – Github
- 50 Grants processed
- 17 Accepted worth $1.2M USD
- 32 Rejected worth $2.8M USD
- 1 Pending worth $50k
- 8 Currently “In Queue”
- 9 RFPs Initiated
- Managed on Github for Community visibility / transparency
- 2 Completed
- 5 In Development
- 2 Early Stage (scoping/creation)
- ENF Health Reports
- Used to show both internal and partner programs and their progress
- Hold external partners accountable
- Tracked Weekly
- Reported Externally Monthly – Currently a 20 page report
- Published on Github for transparency
- Antelope Engineering and Release Cadence
- The Antelope/Lead software is managed transparently in Github Projects
- Releases are twice per year: March and September
- September releases are consensus upgrades
- The September 2022 3.1 Release was a move to code independence!
- There was a small 3.2 Release in November (mostly backports and performance fixes)
- Currently entering code freeze for this March release
- Release notes managed by the Product Management team
- GameFi Strategy / Product Management
- Operations is heavily involved in the GameFi pivot
- Business Operations
- Product Strategy
- Product Requirements
- Formation of the Product Briefs
- Product Requirements Documents
- Working with Marketing for external communications
- Working with Engineering for build of product features
- Working with the PMO for tracking
- Program Management Tracking (PMO)
Ted concluded his thoughts with the following points:
- The COO team works to streamline the ENF
- Creating new entities and systems continuously as the ENF grows
- Always automating next steps to gain efficiencies
- Working transparently through tools such as Github projects
ENF CEO Yves La Rose shared an update of two major programs:
EVM launch date details
The EOS EVM will be launching with a 0.x developer release on April 14th. More building blocks will be released over time and permission sets will be decentralized as the EVM approaches a more fully fledged release. Over 20 teams participated in the TrustEVM hackathon and some number of them are planning to launch their dApps on EOS EVM.
Yves also reiterated that EVM developers are encouraged to seek out funding through the EOS grant framework
Yield+ has been a success, and notably TVL has continued to increase even during difficult market conditions. There is a policy change forthcoming on Yield+, where in addition to participation in Recover+, audits will now be required, not just suggested.
Paris Blockchain Week — ENF CEO Yves La Rose, CMO Patty Fisher, and our friends at Zaisan Global will be attending Paris Blockchain Week to represent the EOS ecosystem. Yves will be speaking at the Master Stage on a panel entitled: NFT, Gaming, Metaverse: What’s Your Next Move? The ENF will also be hosting a Wine and Cheese Tasting side event to meet with partners, investors, influencers, and builders.
Game Developers Conference (GDC) San Francisco, CA — Several members of the ENF team including CTO Bart Wyatt, Director of Engineering Areg Hayrapetian, and CCO Zack Gall, will be attending GDC to spread the word about the powerful GameFi opportunities on EOS.
Hong Kong Web3 Festival 2023 — ENF CEO Yves La Rose will be attending the conference as well as several side events and would love to meet up with any of the EOS BPs in person if they are in the area.
Question: Currently Hong Kong policy is advantageous, what are the ENFs plans for a presence in Hong Kong?
The ENF has incorporated in Hong Kong, and has an office, engineers, and a project manager there.
Question: Is the office mainly for developing or business?
For development now, but the ENF is looking to expand its business development capacity there. More engineers and more business development staff are likely within the Hong Kong region. EOS EVM has been mainly managed out of the Hong Kong office.
Denis Carriere of EOS Nation issued an open call for any ideas for provable on-chain metrics that align with promoting the development of GameFi on EOS. For example: how many Unique Active Wallets (UAW) per day, which is a metric that is currently being tracked on DappRadar.
Block Producer Attendee List
- OKEx Pool
- EOS Nation
- EOS Asia
- EOS Titan
The EOS Network is a 3rd generation blockchain platform powered by the EOS VM, a low-latency, highly performant, and extensible WebAssembly engine for deterministic execution of near feeless transactions; purpose-built for enabling optimal Web3 user and developer experiences. EOS is the flagship blockchain and financial center of the Antelope framework, serving as the driving force behind multi-chain collaboration and public goods funding for tools and infrastructure through the EOS Network Foundation (ENF).
EOS Network Foundation
The EOS Network Foundation (ENF) was forged through a vision for a prosperous and decentralized future. Through our key stakeholder engagement, community programs, ecosystem funding, and support of an open technology ecosystem, the ENF is transforming Web3. Founded in 2021, the ENF is the hub for EOS Network, a leading open source platform with a suite of stable frameworks, tools, and libraries for blockchain deployments. Together, we are bringing innovations that our community builds and are committed to a stronger future for all.